This event introduces a learning design approach to the construction of modules and programmes. Aimed at staff who teach and support learning, it reviews the principles of Curriculum 2016 including alignment, threshold concepts, employability, inclusivity and internationalisation, and shows how the Design for Active Learning Toolbox and Evidence Hub can be used to develop activities to enhance the student experience. The session is a precursor to future workshops covering issues identified as warranting further attention and support.
This session will be of interest to:
those involved in teaching and learning, the development and design of modules orprogrammes and interested in enhancing NSS scores for the teaching on my course, learning opportunities and learning resources. It may be of particular interest to those working on re validation, developing new programmes or who arrived at the university post Curriculum 2016 initiative.
By successfully engaging with the event, participants will explore:
- Pedagogic approach to the enhancement of teaching and learning
- A toolbox of evidence informed T&L designs and activities
UK Professional Standards Framework (HEA, 2011) outlines the core Activities (A), Knowledge (K) and Values (V) that underpin teaching and learning activity in HE. This event supports the following:
- A1: Design and plan learning activities and/or programmes of study
- A3: Assess and give feedback to learners
- A4: Develop effective learning environments and approaches to student support and guidance
- A5: Engage in continuing professional development in subjects/disciplines and their pedagogy, incorporating research, scholarship and the evaluation of professional practices
- K1: The subject material
- K2: Appropriate methods for teaching, learning and assessing in the subject area and at the level of the academic programme
- K3: How students learn, both generally and within their subject/disciplinary area(s)
- K4: The use and value of appropriate learning technologies
- K5: Methods for evaluating the effectiveness of teaching
- K6: The implications of quality assurance and quality enhancement for academic and professional practice with a particular focus on teaching
- V1: Respect individual learners and diverse learning communities
- V2: Promote participation in higher education and equality of opportunity for learners
- V3: Use evidence informed approaches and the outcomes from research, scholarship and continuing professional development
- V4: Acknowledge the wider context in which higher education operates recognising the implications for professional practice
If this session has already taken place, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a waiting list for a second run.
All workshop resources (including Panopto recordings) will be available online. Details will be given in due course.