Emerging Thinkers Reading Group - 'Banned, Burned, but Brilliant Books!'
Title: 'Ruth' (1853) by Elizabeth Gaskell
Speaker: Kath Beal
Date: Saturday 25/11/2017
Venue: Brynmor Jones Library, Room TBC,
Time: 2pm to 4pm
Abstract to follow
If you like reading and enjoy discussing books with other people, then this is the group for you. Sessions take place on campus within the fabulous Brynmor Jones Library where there is a Café and the fantastic University of Hull Art Collection.
The sessions are facilitated by either an English or Creative Writing PhD student, a post-doctoral researcher, a member of staff or a guest host from our regular OpenCampus attendees. You don’t need to have been before but it does help if you have a love of literature and you like the idea of meeting with a friendly group of similarly minded people. Oh yes - it does help to have read the book too!
It’s also a great opportunity to give our PhD students (or 'emerging thinkers' as we like to see them) the opportunity develop their public engagement, facilitation and teaching skills! It really is a winning initiative all ways round.
Broad Aims of the Group
The broad aims of this reading group are to:
- Provide an open platform for the discussion of literature.
- Encourage an interest in a range of genres.
- Provide the opportunity to open up the dialogue with members of the public encouraging interesting, topical, and informative discussion.
- Provide our 'emerging thinkers' the chance to develop their public engagement, facilitation and teaching skills!
All the books should be available to buy cheaply on-line for a minimal amount if you can’t find your old school copy!
Anyone can come along, no prior experience is necessary, just an enthusiasm for the subject.How will it work?
- All attendees should read the novel in advance of the session.
- Each session would be led by one of our PhD/Postgraduate Research students/guest speakers.
- There will be a brief introduction to the text (15 - 30 minutes) which would be accompanied by a PowerPoint/hand-out as appropriate.
- We will have a selection of questions ready to get the ball rolling as it were, and will be highlighting key themes/sections of the text of particular interest.
- You may get the opportunity to discuss revisions and adaptations of the selected narratives to try and pinpoint the reasons behind the longevity of these texts.
Cost: Free Admission – All welcome but booking is required.
Enquiries: Jackie McAndrew
Telephone: 01482 466585